Re: [ietf-dkim] Review of draft-fenton-dkim-threats-01

2005-11-01 14:58:27

On Nov 1, 2005, at 2:27 PM, Arvel Hathcock wrote:

Right, but the important question is whether the
benefit of reducing exact domain spoofing is of
much value.

The value of reducing domain spoofing is presuppositional and entirely self-evident. To continually question whether there is value in detecting falsehood seems more a question for philosophy rather than engineering. I think it's a distraction that we should just dismiss.

I do not agree. Since the concept of email sender authentication has been in the mainstream, critics have always suggested that spammers will simply just buy another domain. Therefore, it does not seem evident to many people. And I think this is the root of the disagreement here.

Please do not take this as a voice against going forward with DKIM.

-andy