Re: [ietf-dkim] Review of draft-fenton-dkim-threats-01

2005-11-01 18:07:46
Scott Kitterman wrote:
On 11/01/2005 16:51, Andrew Newton wrote:
I do not agree.  Since the concept of email sender authentication has
been in the mainstream, critics have always suggested that spammers
will simply just buy another domain.  Therefore, it does not seem
evident to many people.  And I think this is the root of the
disagreement here.

Please do not take this as a voice against going forward with DKIM.

There are certainly those who hold that view. If all you are worried about is general spam, then that's probably a pretty reasonable view.

As a domain owner, what I want is for the bad guys to use somebody else's domain, not mine. So, yes, spammers buying another domain is a good benifit from my POV.

Right. And making them get out a credit card or something like
that leaves tracks too, which is better than the status quo
free-for-all. I've always thought that dealing with these
problems was much more about constraining the degrees of
freedom rather than the search for a silver bullet. In fact,
most of the bogus complaints I hear about dkim are set ups
from a "there is no silver bullet" strawman. The same logic
applied to the real world would not invent locks and fire
the police since they don't have silver bullets either.

                Mike