Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM charter (Should DKIM directly prevent spoofing?)

2005-11-16 13:52:27

Douglas Otis wrote:

On Nov 16, 2005, at 12:00 AM, Stephen Farrell wrote:

Doug,

I've read your mail twice now and I honestly cannot see
what's there that really needs to be addressed in terms
of potential changes to the charter.

A claim made in the charter of detecting spoofing depends upon a comparison of the signing-domain with the email-address domain.

There is no such absolute claim that I can see in the draft
charter [1]. The claim there is that dkim can "assist ... in
detecting ... certain forms of spoofing" which is quite
different from saying something like "all receivers should
discard all mail which isn't signed by the From domain" which
is what you appear to complaining about.

It really seems to me like you're chasing a shadow.

> This
suggests the email-addresses has been constrained to the transport when DKIM is advertised as a MTA to MTA mechanism.

There are many (possibly:-) logical leaps there. Too many IMO.

Stephen.

PS: Thanks for the short response!

[1] http://mipassoc.org/pipermail/ietf-dkim/2005q4/001353.html