RE: [ietf-dkim] Re: WG Review: Domain Keys Identified Mail (dkim)

2005-12-23 19:01:00
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org on behalf of Eric Rescorla

More accurately, we want the charter not to foreclose the option
of doing something better, on the grounds that it's incompatible.

I think that what we are actually arguing about is over language that indicates
what level of 'better' is sufficient to allow a change that breaks
compatibility with the legacy base and the type of incompatibility involved.

For example changing to using S/MIME would render the entire installed base
incompatible and all the code used to support the implementations. I don't
think any level of 'better' would be acceptable, it would be a back to the
drawing board exercise.

On the other hand fixing the canonicalization scheme is almost certainly going
to be required, that will render legacy verifiers inoperative but it will be
relatively easy to upgrade the code base, it is an acceptable change at a much
lower level of 'better'.