Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: The Value of Reputation

2006-01-02 20:01:34
I would be very interested in participating in a new working group or
mailing list that concentrates on reputation services that can build
on the excellent work done so far in the DKIM group.

Oh, good.  The IAR subgroup in the ASRG has been languishing for ages
waiting for people to pick up on the reputation question.  It belongs
in the ASRG rather than an IETF group because, unless I've missed some
recent developments, we have only the vaguest idea what a reputation
system would actually do.

The technical details of publishing domain reputation data are pretty
simple.  You could do it through DNS, e.g., if you want to look up
dubious.com in a reputation system called reputationservice.org, you'd
do a DNS query on dubious.com.reputationservice.org, and it'd return,
well, something, a numeric rating as an A record or a description as a
TXT record perhaps.  Or if you want to query with HTTP, it's just as
easy, fetch http://reputationsystem.org/dubious.com and the server
hands you back a MIME-wrapped block of something.

It's figuring out what the something is that's hard, and that's what
we've got to work on.  See http://asrg.sp.am/subgroups/iar.shtml

R's,
John