Re: Staying on-topic (was: Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: The Value of Reputation)

2006-01-04 14:10:26

On Jan 4, 2006, at 9:43 AM, Stephen Farrell wrote:

What concern do you have regarding the unfair treatment and disruptions the SSP mechanism permits.

Neat trick. I nearly fell for it:-)

I have no concerns about ssp that I'd state more than 100 times.

You have no concerns? Can you provide a generalization of the concern that you have?

When someone attempts to discuss the merits of these concerns, why introduce malarkey about everyone already knowing.

"malarkey?" Sheesh!

Perhaps "malarkey" was not being culturally sensitive. I was not attempting to be condescending; just the opposite. My apologies. : )

I doubt a review of postings to this list would single me out that way. And if you believe that people paying attention to this list are enlightened by repetition then I suspect you're mistaken. My guess is that they'll stop reading your posts, never mind spend time considering what you're trying to say.

A lack of activity on the list suggests many things. Generalizations have the effect of not delving into merits. Before proceeding head long, it would be good to have these issues clearly illuminated. There seems to be a general assumption that authorization offers a means of protection. There also seems to be a general assumption that employing the policy of the sender is appropriate. There also seems to be a general assumption that "open-ended" authorizations are "okay". There also seems to be a general assumption the email-domain owner can be held accountable. Perhaps it would be good to highlight the assumptions used to arrive at these conclusions.

There is an alternative means to ensure better protection against fraud that is controlled by the recipient. There is also a means to establish expectations for the presence of signatures without authorizations. The alternatives avoid the disruptions an authorization scheme may impose.

-Doug