Re: [ietf-dkim] [Fwd: I-D ACTION: draft-fenton-dkim-threats-02.txt]

2006-01-07 17:17:47
On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 22:48 +0000, Mark Delany wrote:
On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 06:59:39PM -0000, John Levine allegedly wrote:

There are some sponsored TLDs that actually do enforce registration
rules, but the largest of them .TRAVEL has only about 10K

Another orth to this oganal might be registrars that enforce
registration rules. "Hi, I'm blah.biz and I've registered with the
you-can-find-me-to-sue-me registrar".

Rather than try to impose one choice or another on ICANN/registrars,
why not make the choices available to domain owners and let them
choose between anonymized or sue-able?

Consider the dynamics that may be created by including reputations of
the registrar in conjunction with the domain names.  Registrars _may_
become more interested in improving their vetting practices, but
criminal blitz attacks with even modest TTLs would be adequate for their
activities.  Even high ownership turn-over, where the registrar
justifies termination based upon some use agreement, may still benefit
the registrar, but then does little to curtail the problem.

Require a CA certificate be used in conjunction with the domain to
establish secure islands, rather off of a root?

-Doug