Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM and mailing lists

2006-01-18 16:57:44
Mark Delany wrote:

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 11:38:53PM +0100, Eliot Lear allegedly wrote:
Mark Delany wrote:
Given the religion, I wonder whether both are entirely reasonable and
leave the choice to the particular list implementor.
I know I don't want to take on the argument of which is reasonable so
applying guidance for both and for clients in the face of both is
important.  Particularly for whether or not you protect the Subject line
and how at all to limit length, and or resign.  There are some serious
UI issues there.

The very early thinking back at DK-00 was that a participating list
might sign List-ID. The idea being that List traffic is distinctly
different and that a verifier/UA might sensibly treat such traffic
differently in the presence of a List-ID. Subsequent revisions went
down the path of generalizing that to Sender.

The basic problem is that mailing lists are for all intents and purposes
forging content when they don't change the From address but insist
on adding trailers and subject line changes, blah, blah, blah. The best
would be for them to stop doing that, but in an imperfect world we're
going to be left with several unpleasant choices. John seems to be
characterizing that as "religious", but I think of it as wanting to have
some semi-viable options short of demanding a flag day and going
away pouting.

In retrospect, I'm not sure I'm a fan of that generalization as List
traffic is so different that it need not be squeezed into a
generalized category that otherwise is almost completely absent in
real-life traffic.

Regardless of what the absolute numbers are, they are a significant fraction
for the people who will be pounding out these standards. Or vetoing them.
I'm all for not spending needless time on turd polishing, but I doubt its
an option to present a rough-hewn turd either.

      Mike