Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: New Issue: TLD key publication and signing

2006-02-14 17:34:18

On Feb 14, 2006, at 3:54 PM, Frank Ellermann wrote:
Markley, Mike wrote:

I am not, however, aware of any mechanism for preventing a malicious TLD operator from publishing a key at _domainkey.<tld>. This suggests to me that it's quite possible for the operators of the TLD, whether that's Verisign or some government-controlled agency, can then send mail with d=tld and i=user(_at_)example(_dot_)tld, and that such a message's signature would validate.

Hi, that sounds like a general "bug" or "feature" not limited to TLDs, it would be the same with say ac.uk or navy.mil SLDs, or any other domain with "independent" (zone cut) subdomains.

This suggests the 'i=' feature is prone as there are no confirming label requirements similar to that used to define the boundary between the domain and the selector paths being a "_domainkey" label. This is especially problematic as the selector may use multiple labels as well.

-Doug

NOTE WELL: This list operates according to http://dkim.org/ietf-list-rules.html