Re: [ietf-dkim] New Issue: TLD key publication and signing

2006-02-14 19:37:42
Mike,

I see two points:

1) This might fall under the same (relatively) recent debates in
IETF-SMTP surrounding what makes constitutes a "valid domain." In this
case, a valid client domain name (HELO) in new attempts to apply strict
SMTP compliance.  Example:

    HELO com              <--- INVALID
    HELO example.com      <--- valid
    HELO [example.com]    <--- INVALID
    HELO 1.2.3.4          <--- INVALID
    HELO [1.2.3.4]        <--- valid

So this probably suggest that DKIM base spec should document "d=" as a
MUST FQDN, with domain literals are not expected.

Borrowing some text from RFC 2821 Section 2.3.5, the DKIM d= description
can be updated to:

   d=  The domain of the signing entity (plain-text; REQUIRED).
|      The domain name, as described in this document and in
|      [RFC1035] is the entire, fully-qualified name (often
|      referred to as  an "FQDN"). This is the domain that
       will be queried for the public key.  This domain MUST be
       the same as or a parent domain of the "i=" tag.  When
       presented with a signature that does not meet this
       requirement, verifiers MUST either ignore the signature
       or reject the message.

2) This is where SSP 3rd party signing restrictive policies would help.

If the 2822.From: domain is not the same (including multiple From:
consideration) as the "d=" domain then technically speaking, we have a
3rd party signature.

So using your "closer to home" example, as long as bankofamerica.com
uses an OA (original address) SSP restricting any 3rd party signing, you
would be protected from any such d=TLD abuse.