Re: [ietf-dkim] SSP - should r= be localpart only?

2006-02-16 19:43:06

On Feb 16, 2006, at 6:11 PM, Mark Delany wrote:

Not that I know when r= should be used, but, it strikes me that having an r= specify an address outside of the domain in question is a potential for DOSing some innocent third-party.

So, should r= only specify a localpart and the domain is implied by the domain being queried, or if r= specifies a complete address, should the domain be constrained to be in the policy query domain or below?

Remember, the SSP policy is referenced from an email-address. Having the 'r=' parameter within the SSP policy is already suspect. When the message is signed by a third-party, what can an email-address domain owner do when a problem is being reported? The _only_ entity able to take corrective action would be the signing-domain, as they control access. Reporting problems to a hapless entity will easily result in a DoSing, as they have no ability to take corrective action to block the miscreants. The localpart should be limited to that of the signing-domain, which means it does _not_ belong in the SSP record!

There should only be an 'r=' parameter within a record referenced from the signing-domain. For that matter, an address convention may handle the requirement.

-Doug

NOTE WELL: This list operates according to http://dkim.org/ietf-list-rules.html