Re: [ietf-dkim] SSP - should r= be localpart only?

2006-02-17 06:37:10
Hi Mark,
At 18:11 16-02-2006, Mark Delany wrote:
Not that I know when r= should be used, but, it strikes me that having
an r= specify an address outside of the domain in question is a
potential for DOSing some innocent third-party.

"r=" is used for reports and inquiries regarding the signing policy. Currently, there is no restriction on the email address for that tag. Some implementations of DKIM send out an automated message to notify the signer of verification failures. There is a well-known domain which sends out an automated reply on receipt of messages to the reporting email address. The "r=" tag can easily be misused.

So, should r= only specify a localpart and the domain is implied by
the domain being queried, or if r= specifies a complete address,
should the domain be constrained to be in the policy query domain or
below?

The "r=" tag should be restricted to email addresses within the SSP domain being queried. The host part of the email address should be constrained to be within the SSP domain. You can then use email addresses such as abuse(_at_)example(_dot_)com or abuse(_at_)reporting(_dot_)example(_dot_)com(_dot_)

Regards,
-sm
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to http://dkim.org/ietf-list-rules.html