RE: [ietf-dkim] OT: DK credits

2006-02-20 12:07:20
Actually, I think the biggest problem is that the credits are there in
the first line of the article.

The authorship of the protocol is not the most notable thing about that
particular protocol. If authorship was then it would probably indicate
that the protocol was either very new or not very interesting.

I have added credit sections to several of the IETF protocols where it
is relevant, except for the ones where I was a principle author of
course.

I would suggest that the proper place for that info is in a separate
section describing the authorship, influences and the connections to
prior work. Tracing the architectural influences on protocols is an
interesting topic in its own right and something that is not normally
something you would find in the specs themselves.

The first thing I want someone to find out about DKIM is that it is a
proposal for adding email signatures that differes from previous
proposals in the following important ways: it is designed for ubiquitous
deployment, signing keys are maintained at the domain name level and
published through the DNS, the specification has been deployed by some
of the largest email senders on the Internet including Yahoo, Gmail and
Bank of America, the specification is supported by a coalition that
includes virtually all the principle providers of email
products/services and security products/services.