Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: Concerns about DKIM and mailiing lists, etc.

2006-03-16 14:13:22

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barry Leiba" <leiba(_at_)watson(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 2:44 PM

Now, z= was in IIM for that purpose, but in forming the DKIM
spec we decided to label it for diagnostic/tracing purposes, and not for
signature verification purposes.

I fail to understand something here.

Now you know this was incorrect and it needs to be an optional part of the
specification to address these middle ware integrity issues.  So what is the
problem?

I hope its not related to incompatible issues with the premature deploy
base.  IMO, DKIM-BASE is not ready for prime time without SSP protection and
coherent set of operational procedures around it.

Anyway, I asked related questions about Z= back in

http://mipassoc.org/pipermail/ietf-dkim/2006q1/002375.html
http://mipassoc.org/pipermail/ietf-dkim/2006q1/002408.html

and only got 1 response.

The way I view it is that software will need to be selective on what is
hashed depending on where it is targeted.  I use my AMEX on certain
restaurants because it give me a "higher credentials" and I use MC/VISA on
others.  Same thing with DKIM. I am not going to use my most high-valued
DKIM security domains in the public mail list. However, I might if I knew
that the LIST SERVER will support it properly.

So again, its about having upfront knowledge on where you are sending mail
too.

My MTA can have it all setup:

    Mail TO:  CISCO.COM  -->   My signer will use HIGH-VALUE domain.
    Mail To:  MIPASSOC.ORG -->  No signing or a Relaxed Policy.

I know that CISCO.COM will 100% honor the security.  There is no guaranteed
MIPASSOC.ORG will. And even if they did, I expect destructure of the
original signatures and resigning of the distribution. So I have no choice
but to provide a relaxed domain to him, even if they honors SSP or not.

PS: I am willing to write a DRAFT I-D For "List Server DKIM Support
Recommendations."   Is that still desirable?