Re: [ietf-dkim] ABNF: Sender = Originator / Operator

2006-03-17 17:18:21
Hi Dave,
At 09:32 17-03-2006, Dave Crocker wrote:
I am not understanding your concern. I added the word "responsible" to each of the defintions, in order to make explicit that responsibility is what we are focused on.

I suggested removing the word "responsible" as from the point of view of the distributor or retailer, it may not always be clear who the author is.

Are you distinguishing accountability from responsibility? If so, why and how?

No, I am not going to such lengths.

Are you viewing the word 'responsible' as redundant, since the entire context is about it? If so, my feeling is that we need to repetition, since there is already some history of missing this focus.

No, I do not view the word "responsible" as redundant. The repetition stresses who is responsible for what.

If your concern is something else, what is it?

My concern is that the determination of authorship is not clear-cut when we talk about mail.

Publisher:

Responsible for some degree of author and/or content "approval" and for injecting the content into the Internet Mail service.
As we move down the distribution chain, we find that the publisher may be identified as the responsible party as he/she can, to some degree, do content "approval" and identify the author.

Again, I am not understand your point. You seem to be agreeing with the definition, but I suspect you are intending to suggest a change or to raise a concern. Please clarify.

I agree with your definition from Publisher downwards. My point in regards to the author definition is that if we cannot determine the identity, then we cannot establish responsibility.

Regards,
-sm