Re: [ietf-dkim] Proposal for specifying syntax and semantics for multiple signatures

2006-04-01 19:37:45
Stephen,

So, in an attempt to move towards that,  let me
try to ask for opinions on this discrete part of
the issue: When an n-th signature(*) is added by
some signer, does that mean:

a) I take independent responsibility for having
   sent/fowarded (the bits of) this email (that I've
   signed), or,
b) Me too, whatever that previous good signer
   meant - it's not gotten worse.

The meaning of a DKIM signature has been kept intentionally minimal and vague. Something like alternative (b) moves towards complex relationships among signers, whereas (a) retains basic simplicity.

So, I hope (a) is the choice.

To the extent that a signer includes the DKIM-signature header of a previous signature, that ought to mean nothing more than ordering, not semantics.

d/

--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking