[ietf-dkim] Updated proposal: get rid of x=

2006-04-08 10:11:17
Greetings again. The following is similar to the earlier proposal but adds normative text to the document that obviates the need for x=.

Rationale:
DKIM permits a signing domain to assert responsibility for a message. Saying "I only take responsibility for sending the message until this time, and then I don't take responsibility even though I previously took responsibility" makes little sense in the real world.

Changes:

Add a new paragraph at the end of section 1.1:

A DKIM signature is intended to be verifiable for about the length of time of that it would take to transport the message in SMTP; this is almost always less than two weeks. The signature is not intended to be used for archival purposes, and verification of the signature after this period is not an intended or desired feature of the DKIM protocol.

In section 3.5, remove the x= section. Also in section 3.5, remove "x=1118006938;" from the example for z=.