Re: [ietf-dkim] Proposal: get rid of x=

2006-04-12 09:46:16

Paul Hoffman wrote:
It should talk about being able to conduct a validation within a window of time, and not being able to do it after the window closes.

If that's what the WG wants, great. But that is *not* what the document says:

right.

i think we've well and truly established that the wording could and should be improved.

It is more like a traffic light changing. Transit is ephemeral, so it should not be surprising that a mechanism related to transit is ephemeral.

This is a good analogy, one that it seems many people in the WG want. But it is not what is in the document.

see above.

"passed the authentication tests" is an accurate description of what took place. "Message valid at one moment and not at the next" is not.

We disagree, then. If the verifier checks the validity and it passes, and later checks the validity and it fails because of x=, then "Message valid at one moment and not at the next" seems to be a reasonable technical description of what happened.

You utter a statement. I am present. Mark Delany is not. I can validate what you said. Mark cannot.

This is a temporally-dependent ability to "confirm" what you said. (The traffic light analogy is merely another way of describing this time-dependent characteristic.)

Verifying that the signature was valid for transit, at one moment, and then being unable to repeat the verification at some point in the future, does not invalidate the original validation.

A DKIM signature says that someone asserts that they are accountable for message transit.

And here we are fully agreeing again, although no such simple statement exists in the document. (Hint: search for the word "responsible".)

See above.

d/
--

Dave Crocker