Re: [ietf-dkim] Attempted text for x=

2006-04-20 11:59:27

On Apr 20, 2006, at 11:34 AM, Jon Callas wrote:

On 19 Apr 2006, at 10:14 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:

What is the interoperability or harm-limiting purpose of verifiers checking x= values? If there is none, the sentence above needs to be a MAY.

I don't want to torture people with my reasoning, but x= needs to be a MAY, but for possibly different reasons.

My reasons are that I don't think that an implementer needs to "carefully weigh" whether to implement x=. I think that casually weighing it is just fine. I've been thinking a lot about uses for x=, and some of them might allow someone to game DKIM against other parts of a mail filtering system. And yes, I know that this comes close to conflating SHOULD-implement vs. SHOULD-deploy, but I would not think ill of an implementor whose decision was "I don't understand it well, so I'm not implementing it," which is the antithesis of SHOULD.

The jabber chat concluded MAY...

There is also a downside ignoring x= when forwarding mail. Safe solutions for this involve changing the way MTAs operate. Gaming is also possible when not paying attention, especially when invalidated signatures offer a basis for rejection. When this happens down- stream, MTAs not paying attention will be left dealing with DSNs.

-Doug