Re: [ietf-dkim] Notes from DKIM jabber meeting on 20 April 2006

2006-04-22 06:31:17
The Milk Carton Analogy was good, but there is a slight difference when it
comes to (DKIM) mail.

The problem with the milk analogy is that the expiration date is a shelf
life concept. To the store, it is the date it must remove the cartons from
the store shelves. To the consumer, who brought it days or weeks before, it
is probably not a good idea to keep and use the milk on or after this date.

However, when the MILK was used, opened by the user it is the same as the
message being read and already verified as good (milk) at the moment he
first opened it to read (drink) it.

That is what is most important. Is the milk good when you first open it?

So if MAIL was read or received by the user, the concept of expiration
really should not apply anymore. This was like Dave Crocker's excellent "Car
in Intersection, Light Changing to red" analogy.  Are you support to stop
driving because the light change red when you are already crossing it?

A signer might want you to avoid the meaning of the message, but it was
already received, verified and validated.

In other words, the mail presentation software can show this:

      Today Date: April 22, 2006
      This message was received and validated on April 16, 2006.
      However, it is now considered stale.

I have a hard time seeing a verifier at the MUA level going to continually
try to validate the signature, over and over again every time you want to
reread the message.

So it was a good analogy, but doesn't 100% apply to mail once the mail is
received and validated before it expired.  The mail is still readable. It
was safe the first time you read it.  Unless the message is a nuclear bomb
that will hurt you if you continue to read it, I just don't see how it
applies at the USER level.

That said, I already mentioned how I see it apply at the backend or system
level.  I can easily see how we might want to add a system option to use
expired DKIM messages as part our mail maintenance, archiving system
allowing the operator to use this additional piece of information to help
the backend software to purge the message from the system.

But while it is still alive and available, once you read it, at best, the
presentation software could or might be fancy enough to tell you that it has
already verified but now expired message.

Anyway, that's my view.