Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: What the verifier can do

2006-04-29 21:11:41

Fully agree, but that's not what was being discussed. The specification should not prevent the verifier from trying other things to get a signature to verify unless there is a significant security issue in doing so. We don't have to encourage (or even mention) making multiple attempts with expected changes on a message, but we should not prohibit it either.

A specification cannot "prevent" a verifier from trying any crazy (or sane) thing they want. However, it CAN distinguish between text that is specifying how to perform straight verification, versus text explains all sorts of secondary hacks. The former is precise, reliable and clear. The latter is whatever folks feel like making it. Mixing the two confuses both.

A specification for processing a message well might suggest use of heuristics and well might produce very different results, depending upon where the processing is performed.
Too many softeners in that.

OK.

How about: It is silly (and dangerous) to specify a verification technique that gives different results depending upon who is doing the verification.

A verifier that chooses to try heuristic message modifications in order to get a positive result for verification does not change the meaning of DKIM at all, unless those modifications can come from an plausible attack. As I stated in my previous message, given that this attack would require a preimage attack, it is not plausible.

A protocol that is successful on Internet scale -- large numbers of independent implementations and large numbers of independent administrations that interoperate -- is nearly always simple, mechanical, and predictable. The use of heuristics in any of the core specifications runs contrary to this experience. It introduces ambiguities, ie, uncertainties. For some reason, people deciding to spend the time and money to implement critical infrastructure services are a tad reticent to pursue standards that make guesses.

Feel free to proffer examples to the contrary.

d/

--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking