Re: [ietf-dkim] z= question with X headers

2006-04-28 13:18:31
    // Hash Headers

    hash = empty;
    for each hdr in (dkim_h_list) do

      s  = mail_headers[hdr];
      sz = dkim_z_list[hdr];  // see is copy is available

      if (s != sz) {
         WHAT? INVALID?  Should they be the same?
         What can cause this? Mailing list?
      }

      if (s == "") s = sz;  // correction

         hash += hash_string(s)
      else
         WHAT? INVALID?

    end for

This makes me nervous (assuming I'm understanding the pseudo-code). It seems to say that if a header doesn't exist you use the header from the z= tag. But since MUAs aren't going to see that, I think it's problematic. Also, it doesn't address the "mailing list adds a prefix" problem.

The z= tag is only supposed to be used for "diagnostic purposes", not for computing the hash. Changing that would have major implications that we would have to examine very carefully.

eric