Re: [ietf-dkim] Issue 1288: definition of 'signing address'

2006-06-08 17:45:30
Dave Crocker wrote:
Jim Fenton wrote:

The term 'signing address' is used several places within -base, so it
might warrant being defined in section 2.  Since the first mention of it
is in the introduction, I'd propose that we add a forward reference in
the introduction.  So the second paragraph of section 1.2 would become:

Your suggestion seems fine to me, but I find myself once again reflecting on
our
terminology.

A domain name is often -- but not always -- an address. However it is never an
email address.

In the context of DKIM, which is in the context of email, the signing is being
done by an identity -- indicated by a domain name -- rather than by an email
address (or even necessarily an IP Address; there is no requirement that the
signing domain have one.

Any chance folks would consider:

signing address
   ->
signing domain

Calling it a signing domain means that it would never have a
local-part.  The local-part is needed in order to allow the recipient to
match the signing address against other header fields to determine the
role of the signature:  Is it on behalf of the author (From address), a
resender, or perhaps a mailing list, in the case where these roles
happen to reside within the same domain?

-Jim