[ietf-dkim] Re: Issue 1287: signature removal

2006-06-08 21:29:32
INFORMATIVE NOTE: A message forwarder may remove DKIM-Signature
header fields if it modifies a message in a way that makes it
implausible that a subsequent verifier could verify the
signature, e.g., if it reorders the MIME parts in a message
or flattens an HTML message to plain text.

What does "implausible" mean?

It means the same thing it does anywhere else. I realize you think that verifiers can undo any change a mailing list may do to a message. You're wrong, but I don't want to get hung up on that again. That's why I used examples where the message bits are completely mangled.

And I disagree about this in general; the forensics of signatures are as worthwhile as the ultimately unverifyable received headers which no RFC suggests that you remove.

It says "may".  Depends on what you expect to be downstream of you.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://johnlevine.com, Mayor