Re: [ietf-dkim] CNAME's

2006-07-05 09:29:57
On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 10:11:35AM +0200, Peter Koch allegedly wrote:
On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 07:55:28AM +0000, Mark Delany wrote:

Which maybe brings up a documentation clarification about allowing
CNAMEs since at least one person assumed that they are not allowed.

from the DNS point of view you don't need to say anything. Usual DNS
resolution rules apply. If you start discussing CNAME, what about DNAME?

Quite so. I note that, eg, RFC2821 spends some time discussing CNAMEs,
but on the resolving side merely to say "resolve as usual".

The problem might be one of wording, since 3.6.2.1 says that the keys are
``"stored" in a subdomain named ""_domainkey""'', where that's actually
the (sub)domain used to query for them. An example using CNAME might be
helpful as well.

Yep. In light of the possible confusion I also wonder whether a
multi-label Selector should also be discussed or inferred by example.

Mark.