Re: [ietf-dkim] review of draft-ietf-dkim-overview-01

2006-07-12 11:12:54

I thought that the Overview document was supposed to be a non-normative
introduction (ok, "overview") of DKIM: motivations, context, how the
pieces fit together, how it fits into the bigger picture.  If I'm right,
then

(1) using "plain English" is just fine, and hence "reputation" doesn't
need a formal (normative) definition; and

I had the same reaction, when initially reading the EKR/Lear exchange.

The problem is that we are, nonetheless, within a technical realm.  While the
document probably has a wider audience than -base or -ssp, the -overiew document
can't claim to exist in isolation.  So we need to be careful that we not create
confusion.

Frankly, I'd prefer to use a non-technical term, when intending a non-technical
meaning.  That's why I usually say "vetting" or "vouching".

(2) reputation /is/ in scope of this document, since it speaks to the
bigger picture.

correct.

--

  Dave Crocker