Re: [ietf-dkim] review of draft-ietf-dkim-overview-01

2006-07-13 05:04:11

Eliot Lear wrote:
Eric Allman wrote:
So Dave, is this a vote for a formal definition?

For crying out loud.  Here is the definition from Marion Webster's.

Eliot,

I fear that I have failed to make clear that a dictionary definition is entirely
irrelevant.

The fact that it is irrelevant is an example of the larger problem that I am
trying to have us NOT deal with:  The term is used in different ways by
different people in the community.

We do not solve the problem of differential use by merely citing the dictionary.
 Were it that simple, the differential use issue would have been solved a few
years ago.  (It's not as if the problem wasn't seen clearly by many folk, long
ago and it isn't as if they have ignored the problem.)

The problem of different uses for the same word requires changing the behavior
an entire community of technical, marketing, news, and other folk.

We have enough on our plates.  We don't need to add this task to it.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking