Re: [ietf-dkim] Possible problem with "simple" body canonicalization -- trailing CRLFs

2006-07-19 08:47:05
On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 07:30:50AM -0700, Michael Thomas allegedly wrote:
Tony Hansen wrote:

This not a problem when using DATA. Check 2821 section 4.1.1.4; the
ending crlf.crlf was clarified as being the trailing crlf of the last
line of the message followed by the terminator sequence.

 Note that the first <CRLF> of this terminating sequence is also the
 <CRLF> that ends the final line of the data (message text) or, if
 there was no data, ends the DATA command itself.

You are correct that the problem exists when using BDAT.

My implementation uses the last CRLF in if it's there. If there is no
last CRLF, it does *not* add one.

Having just worked through this myself, I'll say that Tony's interpretation
*has* to be the correct one otherwise an l= less than the body length won't
be correct. Namely:

weird interpretation. This is definitely worth a mention in the draft.

That would only be true if the signer forgets to add CRLF prior to
feeding into the signing code. In that case you would get an l=5, not
an l=3.

Mark.