[ietf-dkim] domain (reputation) semantics: selectors vs. sub-domains

2006-07-26 12:20:52
Folks,

I've heard a number of different groups say that they plan to make semantic
distinction based on selector.  For example, they intend to send transaction
mail under one selector and marketing mail under another.  Their intent is to
have reputation services distinguish between one domain+selector and another.

I believe this defeats the purpose of the selector and would like to get some
working group discussion and consensus about this.

My understanding of the purpose of the selector mechanism is that it is for
enabling multiple keys under the same domain name, where the domain name is the
basic unit of semantic reference.  Hence, selectors are an administrative
convenience, not a mechanism for public (semantic) distinction.  One example of
intended use is to make the transition to a new key.  As soon as selectors are
part of the reputation semantics, this capability for transition is defeated.

As I understand the DKIM design, the way to make semantic distinctions is with
sub-domains.  Note that these are in the d= parameter of domainkeys-signature
field, rather than in the rfc2822.From field.  So, d=transac.example.com should
get a different reputation from d=market.example.com.  The fact that DKIM has
the domain name be decoupled from any other RFC 2822 header field that uses
domain names makes this model extremely convenient.

Comments?

d/
--

  Dave Crocker