Re: [ietf-dkim] domain (reputation) semantics: selectors vs. sub-domains

2006-07-26 14:25:38
On 2006-07-26 12:46, Mark Delany wrote:

In any event, the question is, what can be done about it? If we can't
stop it in the protocol, at best we can write unread admonishments.

I don't think anyone is /actually/ doing selector-based reputation yet, though some of us have been thinking and even talking about it.

The need is for a sender (who has been declared trustworthy by the receiver via some entirely unrelated mechanism) to define different classes of mail within the same user-facing domain. Doug tried to answer this need with his r= proposal, but it made too many assumptions about what those classes of mail would be and how they'd be treated. If subdomains can fill the need without adding any new complexity -- and it sounds like they can -- then that's easy enough.

--
J.D. Falk, Anti-Spam Product Manager
Yahoo! Communications Platform Team