Re: [ietf-dkim] The URL to my paper describing the DKIM policy options

2006-07-26 14:31:36

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Atkins" <steve(_at_)blighty(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 4:28 PM
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] The URL to my paper describing the DKIM policy
options

That's not a reason not to add support for this to SSP, though,
as long as you recognize that it's just adding a redundant
way of saying the same thing at the cost of a small increase
in complexity and risk of contradictory policy messages
via different communication channels.

I'm sorry, did you think I was suggesting to add SPF to the DKIM/SSP mix?

If so, I was not.  I think DKIM/SSP should be an independent payload
technology with only one common ingredient 822/2822 + DNS and for the most
part 821/2821.

How ISV and operators will augment separate ideas is up to them.
AltaVista.com illustrates this with support for SPF and MX 0 to cover a "No
Outbound Mail Expected" and a "No Inbound Mail Expected" policy,
respectively.

Keep in mind that the current SSP checks calls for only checking an SSP iff
the signature fails.  Although, I believe the more efficient model for the
verifier who will need to deal with the DKIM blitz of high potential
failures is to check for SSP immediately, I suggested that this logic be
changed, at a minimum, to a failed 3rd party signature.  But that could be
an ISV implementator detail and not necessary part of the specs.