Re: MX 0 . (was Re: [ietf-dkim] The URL to my paper describing the DKIM policy options)

2006-07-26 13:20:17
On Wednesday 26 July 2006 15:50, william(at)elan.net wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, Scott Kitterman wrote:
On Wednesday 26 July 2006 15:26, Steve Atkins wrote:
"MX 0 ." seems to be the standard way of asserting that a domain
neither sends nor receives email.

It is a way that people do it.  AFAIK, there is no standard that
describe that assertion.

What does assertion that I can not receive emails addressed to (based
on RFC2821 session RCPT TO) a.com have to do with assertion that I
do not send any email with header field line "From: <address>@a.com"?

It doesn't, but there are proponents of the idea that it should.  Bad idea in
my book, but there are proponents.  They key point is that even if that were
a common usage, there is no standard that defines it.

AFAIK, the only standard that allows an existing domain to assert it sends no
mail is the SPF RFC, RFC 4408, and that is experimental.  There is still no
standards track method to assert "sends no mail".

Scott K