RE: [ietf-dkim] A more fundamental SSP axiom

2006-08-02 20:12:09
All,
Maybe I am confused on how email works.
Sending,
A. I want to send a message. My MTA looks up the MX record of the
receiving party and initiates a bind and a conversation on port 25 with
the receiver's MTA. As part of that conversation headers are exchanged
one of which is DKIM. I then pass the message itself. The receiving MTA
gives me a gooday then trundles off to do the magic receiving stuff.

B. My MTA must relay to another MTA because I am on a DHCP based static
IP
I initiate the conversation above with my relayer who then repeats the
process with the MTA on the other end of the MX record. If my agreement
with my relaying MTA is to sign on my behalf I have a 3rd party
signature. Plus perhaps my own.

C. Using the B example above my relayer thinks he is talking to the MTA
of the receiver because of the MX record but is really talking to a 3rd
party front end who runs spam filters for the real users (MXLogic comes
to mind) they say thank you very much and may well sign again for the
MTA and MUA of the real recipient behind them.

Now I haven't addressed lists yet. Am I missing any pieces?

Bill Oxley
Messaging Engineer
Cox Communications, Inc.
Alpharetta GA