RE: [ietf-dkim] All done on potential SSP requirements?

2006-08-04 06:28:25
Hang on a second.

We have requirements here for a policy mechanism. That's not the same as
requirements for the SSP record.

The implementation of the policy mechanism may be concentrated in the policy
record or split between the policy record and the key record.

And don't try to claim that the key record is final, it is not. We were not
allowed to discuss the policy aspects of the key record at the time of base. It
was pointed out at the time that the key record is also part of the policy
system and we were told then that we could discuss those issues now.

I don't think we need to modify base but it does look to me as if we are going
to possibly need to add features into the key records.

I don't think that is a serious problem either. We just end up with
descriptions split between two documents. We can always refactor the documents
at draft if people want the key record description

One requirement that MUST appear in the document if the resulting spec is to
clear the security review is as follows:

     It must be possible for Alice to publish a key record that describes
     use of features such as canonicalization, digest or signature algorithm
     that are not widely supported without negating the value of the policy
     record.

I will explain why that is necessary in my next post.