Re: [ietf-dkim] How to reconcile passive vs active?

2006-08-06 21:56:30

Mark Delany wrote:
Or, is this mostly a matter of semantics with the end result being
pretty much the same SSP syntax, but a different set of semantics in
the specification? If so, can we work on the syntax and defer on the
semantics as a means of moving forward?

If it's agreeable to others, I'd like to suggest that as a way of
moving forward, we focus on the meta-issue of how we resolve this
difference rather than focusing on the details of the difference.

1. I suspect the syntax is the same, and certainly suspect we need not focus on
possible differences.

2. I think that the passive/active difference involves a superset/subset
relationship.  That is, I think that the active begins with the statements made
in the passive mode, about the sender/signer, but extends them to tell the
evaluator how to use those statements.

3. If #2 is correct, then my question is why the extended semantics are
essential?  What problems are created by not including them in the
specification?  What substantial benefits are obtained by including them?

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking