Re: [ietf-dkim] Requirements comment: Bigbank example description

2006-08-09 11:46:46
Scott Kitterman wrote:
I went through the draft and marked it up.  I'll break these up into
individual messages for each comment.  I'll start with a context diff of the
draft and proposed changes and then give a discussion of why...

*** 321,328 ****
     unsigned outweights the risk of illegitimate mail being delivered in
     the eyes of the sender.

!    1.  A purportedly sends to B with a missing or broken DKIM signature
!        from A

     2.  B would like to know whether that is an acceptable state of
         affairs.
--- 321,328 ----
     unsigned outweights the risk of illegitimate mail being delivered in
     the eyes of the sender.

!    1.  Mail with a RFC2822.From A is sent to B with a missing or broken
!        DKIM signature

     2.  B would like to know whether that is an acceptable state of
         affairs.
***************

I think that saying mail with an RFC2822.From A is clearer than A purportedly
sends.  Also, Purported is used in Sender ID PRA (Purported Responsible
Address) and so use of that word in this context might be confusing for some.

-1

I want companies such as eCard senders or News Agencies to be able to 1)
send a message on my behalf while 2) marking themselves as the sender
and 3) being able to sign the message. This minimally requires support
for RFC2822.Sender as well as RFC2822.From.

I *would* support changing it to

    1.  Mail with a RFC2822.From or RFC2822.Sender A is sent to B with a
        missing or broken DKIM signature

This has nothing to do with PRA and its support for Resent-From and/or
Resent-Sender.

        Tony Hansen
        tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com