Re: [ietf-dkim] Delegating responsibility: a make vs. buy designdecision

2006-08-23 05:00:58
Hi Stephen,  welcome back from your vacation! :-)

There is a lot to be said here, but I think it all comes down to answering
the baseline scenario that "looks and feels" like Jim/Mike's scenario; the
baseline scenario when there is no DKIM signature header:

    From: president(_at_)company(_dot_)com
    Sender: listadmin(_at_)mailinglist(_dot_)com
    To: someone(_at_)phishingtarget(_dot_)com
    Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 01:14:57 -0400
    Subject: Important new stuff!

How or what will a verifier us to extract policy information from this
message transaction?

What domain are we protecting in the above available header block?
company.com? mailinglist.com?  We can't look up the ISP.COM records because
we don't see any information about it.

Should we use mailinglist.com?  From the company.com standpoint,
mailinglist.com is not a signer.  The verifier does not know that, so should
it use mailinglist.com or the Sender: domain?  Where is the inherent trust
there to suggest mailinglist.com was acting of the behalf of company.com?

If we use company.com, we will see there is a 3PS signing requirement
associated with the designated ISP.COM.  With no DKIM signature header
present, we have strong evidence it is bad.

There is really much more to say here, but it really comes down to the above
because what we decide here should also apply when there is a signature
present.  Or does the policy lookup rule change when there is a DKIM
signature header available?