Re: [ietf-dkim] New Thread: Use of CNAME in place of NSsubdomain delegation

2006-08-28 21:19:31
----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Allman" <eric+dkim(_at_)sendmail(_dot_)org>
To: "Jim Fenton" <fenton(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>

The delegator could also hand over a subset of the namespace, e.g.,
using

   delegatee._domainkey.delegator.com.  IN  CNAME
                        delegatee._domainkey.delegatee.com.

(wrapping for readability only).

eric

Eric,

I am wondering if we are getting into areas that are unknown or can change
or not supported across the board, when in fact, the only thing we do know
is that a QUERY is done with a TXT record (or eventually an specific RR
record if that happens).

In order words, that is all the ADMIN needs to know in regards to the
outside world.  The outside world will be a doing a TXT query so any DNS
administration ideas on how that information is best extract in only a
server side thing.

In short, CNAME, NS, or whatever, should this level of details be part of
the spec or some separate doc?