Re: [ietf-dkim] SSP is the Sender Signing Practices, not the Sender's accreditation

2006-11-09 12:50:27
Dave Crocker wrote:

Michael Thomas wrote:

What is the real use case for SSP, in your opinion?

The above is so wonderfully precise, concise and cryptic, that I am entirely missing your point.

Could I ask you to provide enough text to explain what point you are making and, of course, why/how this example makes the point?

This is hardly rocket science. Filters could make use of the fact that there was a SSP violation. Filters like, oh say, Spamassassin. He asked for "the" reason, I
offered "a" reason. There are others.

Note that the first question offered a false choice: there need not be "The" reason for SSP or DKIM for that matter. There may be a variety of reasons why it's useful to a variety of different people, where a preponderence of reasons amongst a
preponderence of people who think they're useful is good enough reason to
specify it. For the people who think it's not a very useful thing, I'd suggest that it would be a better use of time to find something that *is* useful rather than engaging
in a futile intrinsicist debate .