Re: [ietf-dkim] Collection of use cases for SSP requirements

2006-11-10 09:17:01
Michael Thomas wrote:
... but training users to only expect to hear from paypal from
paypal.com is most likely part of the solution.

Best of all is that the realm of human factors usability and training is entirely outside the skillset of an IETF working group, no matter the skills of any particular participant.

Good thing that none of this is predicated on that being the _only_ reason.
Or that there need be an _only_ reason.

Michael, please review your original text, noted above.

1) No one said anything about "only", so I'm not clear why you introduced it.

2. )You cite a specific training goal. I do not claim to be an expert in human factors, usability, cognitive psychology or in in the techniques of deception, but I have enough training in all of them to be quite certain that your assertion of likelihood is simply wrong.

Rather than make that direct, flat statement, I was attempting to respond to the larger issue of this working group's making the kind of predictions you made and, most significantly, making technical design decisions that assume such predictions will be correct.

At a minimum, any proposal in the working group that entails multiple changes throughout the system -- such as including user training -- needs to specifify all of the components that need changing, what the changes need to be, and what the basis is for believing that the aggregate set of changes will have efficacy.

Good thing that nobody's proposing that then because it sounds hard.

Then why did you make a prediction about users having to distinguish between valid and invalid paypal strings?

Oh, and it also needs to include a cost/benefit discussion, since anything entailing changing multiple components is certain to be expensive and likely to be risky.

I don't know what "it" is here because it doesn't seem to have anything to do with what I was talking about.

c.f., "any proposal", above. The comment was responding to your including predictions of needed user training. Forgive me if I thought you were making that prediction as part of the working group's technical discussion.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking