Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: Collection of use cases for SSP requirements

2006-11-17 15:31:37
My 2 cents:

The first thing that needs to be work out which is what I find fundamentally flawed in DKIM is that idea of separating VALID vs NON-VALID conditions.

The fundamental idea is simple:

  - No Good system is will have NON-VALID conditions!

By GOOD I don't mean reputation. I mean operations wise - it is the FIRST condition that must be met. Violate this and you must as well throw DKIM into the waste basket - "with full force."

All rules or any applied FUZZY logic, including repuation must be based on this.

Otherwise, you get into nonsense ideas that a GOOD system MAY infact have invalid conditions and you might as well OVERRIDE this with some other undefined, non-standard processing. At that point, we are back to square one where there is no consistency nor expectation for consistency. It doesn't matter what DKIM says. Something else will override it.

In any case, I am not too excited any more with the direction DKIM has taken with placing hope on Reputations systems to solve its issues. Its defeats the purpose in my view.

---
HLS

----- Original Message ----- From: "Douglas Otis" <dotis(_at_)mail-abuse(_dot_)org>