RE: [ietf-dkim] Re: Last Call: 'DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM)Signatures' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dkim-base)

2006-11-20 11:34:13

From: John Levine [mailto:johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com]
Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2006 11:48 AM
To: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Cc: Hallam-Baker, Phillip
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: Last Call: 'DomainKeys
Identified Mail (DKIM)Signatures' to Proposed Standard
(draft-ietf-dkim-base)

In terms of consensus I don't think anyone would challenge the claim
'DKIM key records do not require prefixes'.

I hope you meant to say wildcards there.

Yes good catch!

It is possible and perhaps useful for testing to wildcard the
selector part of a prefixed DKIM key record, but in general I
concur with your analysis of the DNS aspects of DKIM.

There may be operational reasons to make use of the existing wildcard features
of the DNS. But there is no requirement that would require a default key record
to be returned.