RE: [ietf-dkim] Deployment Scenario 7: Cryptographic Upgrade andDowngrade Attacks

2007-02-23 14:24:26

[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Dave Crocker

Color me confused.  I thought we agreed long ago that
downgrade attacks were not an issue for the problem DKIM addresses.

This was ONLY agree for DKIM-core.

The entire point of policy is to prevent downgrade attacks. That is what is
meant by making an inference from the absence of a signature.

More basically, we are moving quickly into the morass of
requiring SSP lookups for signed messages, rather than
limiting SSP for use with unsigned messages.

Not at all, you only look at policy if you don't find a signature that
sufficiently demonstrates authenticity.

If I support verification of algorithm A (and not B) then I only look up the
policy record if I receive a message with no signature at all or a signature
that I can't verify (e.g. B) or which fails verification.

    Hence, SSP should be used for receipt of unsigned
messages.  Statements like "I sign everything" and "I send no
mail" are examples.

Agreed on #1.

#2 is NOT a DKIM policy statement but it is a statement that someone might want
to make in a policy language which gets to the point of are we talking about a
DKIM policy language or DKIM statements within a policy language with a syntax
that is capable of making more general statements?

I see utility in the folowing policy statements:

DKIM              - I ALWAYS sign with DKIM
DKIM=<selector>   - I ALWAYS sign with a DKIM signature where the
                    key selector has the specified suffix
DKIM-TEST         - I MIGHT sign with DKIM, I am testing
PHISHING-TARGET   - Be advised that I consider myself a phishing target
NOMAIL            - I never ever send mail
REPORT=<Protocol> - Errors may be reported using the following protocol(s)
SPF [=domain]     - Look at the SPF record as well

In addition we might add for completeness:

SMIME             - I ALWAYS sign with S/MIME
PGP               - I ALWAYS sign with OpenPGP

As far as DKIM goes I only consider DKIM, DKIM=<selector> and possibly
DKIM-TEST to be DKIM policies. The others are email sending policies, not DKIM
policies.