Re: [ietf-dkim] Deployment Scenario 7: Cryptographic Upgrade and Downgrade Attacks

2007-02-25 12:01:58
Paul Hoffman wrote:
At 12:09 PM -0800 2/23/07, Dave Crocker wrote:
Deployment Scenario 7: Cryptographic Upgrade and Downgrade Attacks

In the case that a signer advertises key records for multiple signature algorithms this may allow an attacker to circumvent an insufficiently expressive signature policy.

Example:

Legitimate sender advertises key records A, B. Record A describes a signature key for a widely supported signature algorithm. Record B describes a signature key for a signature algorithm that is not generally supported. The senders signature policy says 'I always sign every message'. The sender always signs messages with algorithm A (whether algorithm B is used by the legitimate sender as an additional algorithm or not does not affect the success of the attack).

Color me confused. I thought we agreed long ago that downgrade attacks were not an issue for the problem DKIM addresses.

What Phill describes is not a downgrade attack: it is an attack based on algorithm agility. If we allow multiple algorthims, and not all the algorithms are the the "MUST implement" level, this attack is feasible. Every protocol with algorithm agility but not a fixed list of "MUST implement" algorithms has this issue.

At this point, all we have is MUST implements. Considering there is
no opportunity for negotiation with mail, MAY/SHOULD implement
algorithms seems like a pretty bad idea altogether. So is this still a real
problem for DKIM?

In general, there are myriad ways to break a signed message, to render the signature invalid. We have chosen not to attempt to prevent breakage.

Phill's example does not deal with breaking a signed message, nor rendering a signature invalid.

More basically, we are moving quickly into the morass of requiring SSP lookups for signed messages, rather than limiting SSP for use with unsigned messages.

I agree that this is an example of an SSP lookup for signed messages. I hope it does not mean that we are opening the door for other purposes. It is also not requiring an SSP lookup; the only time you care if the message is signed with an algorithm you don't understand is if you know that they sign all messages. Therefore, you already did the SSP lookup to find out that information. The algorithm list would come along with the "I sign everything" information.

Cf my previous mail, we already transmit algorithm information in the
selector itself. I don't understand why simply nuking selectors with bad
algorithms isn't an adequate defense.

      Mike