Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: 1368 straw-poll :

2007-02-27 06:04:40
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:20:12 -0000, EKR <ekr(_at_)networkresonance(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Hector Santos <hsantos(_at_)santronics(_dot_)com> writes:

if S says I only sign with A, then R should not see signatures with B,
X or Y.

OK, but we're discussing what sorts of policies S should be able to
communicate. In particular, should S be able to say "I sign with
both A and B and any signature you see from me will have both,
not just either."

The problem is that we cannot foresee (remember we are merely discussing SSP requirements now, not SSP itself) what may be needed for SSP in the future in order to counter threats we cannot even dream of at the moment.

Therefore, one requirement I would like to see for SSP is that its notation should be _extensible_. Indeed, using XML for reporting SSP policies might be a good way to go about it (except that XML is a bit verbose if it has to be squashed into DNS records somehow).

It seems to me that you're denying a basic premise of the system.
From base S 4.2:

   Verifiers SHOULD ignore failed signatures as though they were not
   present in the message.  Verifiers SHOULD continue to check
   signatures until a signature successfully verifies to the
   satisfaction of the verifier.  To limit potential denial-of-service
   attacks, verifiers MAY limit the total number of signatures they will
   attempt to verify.

And that SHOULD in base is blatantly WRONG. You cannot instruct verifiers as to what they SHOULD or SHOULD NOT (or even MUST) do. They are free agents and can do what they like.

But, in any case, we are not concerned with "failed" signatures (to which that SHOULD applies) here. We are concerned with signatures that are quite possibly valid, but where the verifier does not possess the tools needed to verify them. Base is totally silent on what to do in that situation.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131     Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.