Re: [ietf-dkim] New Issue: Use of XPTR records in SSP

2007-04-17 21:50:08
On Wednesday 18 April 2007 00:29, Steve Atkins wrote:

At that point the only thing the new RR adds is the requirement to
do two DNS queries, rather than one, as you'll still need to be checking
TXT forever.

When the issue has come up before the usual problem that's claimed
is not dns servers or resolvers, so much as management software,
web interfaces to manage dns records and so on. I don't really
buy that, but it's something that probably needs to be answered.

I think the burden here is to prove that a new RR Type is both needed and
deployable, not desirable and will get out there someday.

New RR types are easy is an interesting theory, but unproven.

The only problem I see a new RR type solving is wildcarding.  I just don't see
it as being a significant use case.

Scott K