RE: MX dot RE: [ietf-dkim] TXT wildcards SSP issues

2007-06-03 05:49:41
From a DNS perspective I don't like MX . As it falls into the category
'folklore', it is an essentially undocumented feature of the infrastructure
known only to some.

From the perspective of DKIM goals I would be entirely happy to document and
make use of MX . as an interim measure.

In the longer term I would much prefer to see us defining a NOMAIL policy
within DKIM.

Putting it all together we have two options for publishing policy:

1) If your DNS server does not support new RRs

        Specify DKIM policy 'I always sign' using the prefix TXT record at
specifc nodes
        Specify NOMAIL policy 'I never send' using MX-dot (which can be
wildcarded as normal)

2) If your DNS server does support new RRs

        Specify DKIM policy 'I always sign' using the prefix TXT record
        Specify NOMAIL policy 'I never send' using the prefix TXT record
        Use XPTR to address the wildcard issue wherever necessary

The administrative wildcard issue is mostly an issue with the newer DNS
servers. The DNS wildcard semantics were botched in the original RFC and there
being no strong interoperability driver every server implemented in a different
way.

The need for consistency only appeared with DNSSEC and that is when the
wildcard semantics were redefined. Most DNS servers offer a choice of the old
and 'standard' semantics. I don't think it should be too hard to persuade them
to support administrative wildcards, something we need regardless of DKIM.