[ietf-dkim] Re: I think we can punt the hard stuff as out of scope.

2007-06-05 10:58:37
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
From: Michael Thomas [mailto:mike(_at_)mtcc(_dot_)com]

NOMAIL is out of scope, but wildcard is in scope.

The relevance here is that it looks like we can get 95% or
better coverage of the real use cases here by acknowledging that wildcards are primarily an issue for NOMAIL.

It is? If I sign everything for my domain, I'd like to be able to say that for both the top level domain, and all of the subdomains too, right?

Why would you be signing a subdomain that does not have an A record?

Come to that how does your understanding of DKIM policy work for a node that
has no A record, no MX record and no related key records? If you have a policy
'I sign all mail' what restrictions do you impose on the key records?

Huh?

Let's review the attack:

example.com: "I sign everything"

attacker sends mail purportedly from example.com. I look up example.com, get the "I sign everything" record, I know it is forged. All is good.

attacker then sends mail purportedly from alsdkfjasdf.example.com. I
look up policy for that node, and find nothing. All is not good.

If I use a wildcard as well:

*.example.com: "I sign everything"

It will cover all subdomains *except* ones that have an RR (usually an
A record). Thus, we need something that covers those nodes too. Hence
the tree walk, forcing those nodes to have the policy RR there too, etc.

I don't understand what you wrote above has to do with this attack.

                Mike