Re: MX dot was (Re: [ietf-dkim] TXT wildcards SSP issues

2007-06-11 08:58:42

On Jun 11, 2007, at 5:43 AM, J.D. Falk wrote:

On 2007-06-09 17:01, Hector Santos agreed with John Levine:

"It's all spam" is about the simplest useful advice a (non) sender can give. In my case, which I don't think is unusual, I get buckets of spam and blowback to subdomains that have never, ever, sent a real message. The domains are the names of computers on my network, which were probably scraped out of usenet or mail archive message IDs. If receivers were to reject or drop all mail purporting to be from those domains, it would be uniformly better both for the receivers (less spam, cheap filter) and for me (less blowback.)
+1

+1

'Proof of use' as acceptance criteria should also eliminate much of this. Deprecating and then obsoleting A record discovery would safely arrive at this goal.

Use of * MX "." would be something a root server will be unable to defending against. If this were to become popular, these records may lead to a type of DDoS attack against the root servers. This construct assumes millions of email applications will be modified to recognize "." as an invalid domain name.

-Doug