Re: MX dot was (Re: [ietf-dkim] TXT wildcards SSP issues

2007-06-05 10:16:25

On Jun 5, 2007, at 9:09 AM, stephen(_dot_)farrell(_at_)cs(_dot_)tcd(_dot_)ie
wrote:

On Jun 4, 2007, at 6:34 PM, Stephen Farrell wrote:
Douglas Otis wrote:

It is not clear why a "no mail sent" assertion must be excluded
from a policy statement.

Well... because that was the concensus. Feel free to re-read the
archive, but basically: End of story.

Consensus does not necessarily produce a solution that improves security.

Are you saying that you'd like to ignore the established WG consensus and plan to continue on discussing this topic on the DKIM WG list regardless of the fact that we've thrashed this and one of the WG chairs has specifically asked you to stop?

If the answer is anything synonymous with "no", there's no need to respond, let's just move on. If the answer is anything else, please send it to Barry and I off-list.

Stephen and Barry,

My apologies. Will all due respect, deciding WG issues individually in abstract rather than in respect to a complete strategy appears to be leading to poor outcome. Perhaps that is why a camel is described as a horse designed by committee. The _only_ issue worthy of discussion is whether the final result is as safe as possible. That can not be determined on a piecemeal basis. Analysis requires comparisons between whole strategies. That is _not_ being done.

-Doug